I've been anxiously waiting for Suicide Squad to come out, and have been watching all the trailers to get all pumped up. While watching the trailers I was really drawn to Harley Quinn's bat (that might just be the shrapnel from my love of Margot Robbie) I started looking to see who was making a decent replica and couldn't find anything that was even remotely acceptable. Once I realized that I had everything needed to make my own, it was a no brainer!
I started by turning a Maple baseball bat on my Excelsior lathe from Rockler. I followed the plans of a 34" baseball bat I found online since I estimated that to be the size of the one from the movie. I'm still very new to woodturning and it was a long process turning the blank into a bat. Once I was happy with the shape and it was sanded smooth, I cut out a tape stencil on my X-Carve CNC router. I'd never tried that before and it worked okay! I layed a piece of scrap wood down, burnished two layers of painter's tape onto it and used an engraving V bit to do the cutting. I found a font that was similar and modified it in Illustrator to be even closer to the real bat.
After masking it off, I sprayed the tape with spray lacquer to prevent the paint from bleeding. 3 light coats of Rustoleum Apple Red and then dirtied up the edges with some thinned out black model paint. The same technique was used for the diamond detail in the center using Apple Red, Brilliant Blue, Colonial Red and Gloss Black. Once the paint was dry, I coated the entire bat with satin spray lacquer to seal it up.
The letters were the hardest part of the entire build. I didn't just want the size of the text to be accurate, I also wanted them to be the same words. After much searching, I found out the words written on the bat were a nursery rhyme that Harley Quinn said in either a movie or video game. I printed them off for reference and wrote them on the bat using black, red and blue Sharpies. I couldn't fit the entire nursery rhyme on the bat, but at least I could finish it with a full sentence. I've made a file available on my website store if you'd like to download the script. The final step was to seal the Sharpie and the rest of the bat with spray lacquer once again, this time with semi gloss.
I have two confessions about this build.
One, I took some liberties with the knob of the bat since I thought it dressed it up a little.
Two, I know a real bat should be made from a solid piece of wood, not laminated like this one.